Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Kao
Bookmark and Share
big12tigers Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: memphis
Kao
Not sure why when we need bigs, Kao does not get hardly any time. I have zero coaching experience other than at the youth level, but to me playing Deandre as a undersized center causes him to get into foul trouble.

I have seen Kao play in person and from what I can tell when he is on the floor, he causes some chaos on defense, plays hard and brings some energy. Granted he is not a super star, but I sure believe he could help keep the scoring down in the paint. Wish I could find out how many layups and 5 foot jumpers Houston got in their half court offense today.

Today they credited him with one block, but pretty sure he had his hand on a second one and know at least one time he was able to knock a rebound out of a Houston players hands into ours.

Thoughts ?
02-19-2023 07:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Kao
(02-19-2023 07:37 PM)big12tigers Wrote:  Not sure why when we need bigs, Kao does not get hardly any time. I have zero coaching experience other than at the youth level, but to me playing Deandre as a undersized center causes him to get into foul trouble.

I have seen Kao play in person and from what I can tell when he is on the floor, he causes some chaos on defense, plays hard and brings some energy. Granted he is not a super star, but I sure believe he could help keep the scoring down in the paint. Wish I could find out how many layups and 5 foot jumpers Houston got in their half court offense today.

Today they credited him with one block, but pretty sure he had his hand on a second one and know at least one time he was able to knock a rebound out of a Houston players hands into ours.

Thoughts ?

I like him, need more minutes.
02-19-2023 07:51 PM
sherekhan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
(02-19-2023 07:51 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(02-19-2023 07:37 PM)big12tigers Wrote:  Not sure why when we need bigs, Kao does not get hardly any time. I have zero coaching experience other than at the youth level, but to me playing Deandre as a undersized center causes him to get into foul trouble.

Thoughts ?

I like him, need more minutes.
I agree, he's the best defensive big we have and needs more minutes.
02-19-2023 08:03 PM
Seabee TIger Fan Offline
No Ma'am

I Root For: Merica
He’s a great help defender that doesn’t defend well one one one. Gets lost boxing out and is a liability on the boards. His offensive skill set is limited to catching lobs. Not great at setting high ball screens.
02-19-2023 08:15 PM
Titans3775 Offline
All American

I Root For: Nuclear Power
Really no excuse for him not playing in the second half when Houston making layup after layup at the rim. He is getting the Minott treatment for sure.
02-19-2023 08:23 PM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

I Root For: Truffles
(02-19-2023 08:23 PM)Titans3775 Wrote:  Really no excuse for him not playing in the second half when Houston making layup after layup at the rim. He is getting the Minott treatment for sure.

The Minott treatment? Ha ha ha. How many games did Minott get to be a starter?
02-19-2023 08:32 PM
Advertisement

Titans3775 Offline
All American

(02-19-2023 08:32 PM)msu35 Wrote:  
(02-19-2023 08:23 PM)Titans3775 Wrote:  Really no excuse for him not playing in the second half when Houston making layup after layup at the rim. He is getting the Minott treatment for sure.

Because that is what matters.
02-19-2023 09:04 PM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(02-19-2023 09:04 PM)Titans3775 Wrote:  

What matters is making comparisons that could actually be valid. Not only is Kao a starter, he's been regularly getting more minutes than Minott saw at Memphis. Your comparison is silly. I agree that Minott deserved more playing time. He showed Penny by leaving the team and making it to the NBA. Kao has nowhere near the same level of talent and he certainly isn't even the obvious first choice on the Tigers.

Don't get me wrong, I like Kao, but he's not undeservedly getting robbed of playing time. He has a long, long way to go before he's at a level where he would be considered a well-rounded basketball player. Being able to block a couple of shots a game doesn't make up for his weaknesses.
02-19-2023 09:31 PM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

(02-19-2023 08:15 PM)Seabee TIger Fan Wrote:  He’s a great help defender that doesn’t defend well one one one. Gets lost boxing out and is a liability on the boards. His offensive skill set is limited to catching lobs. Not great at setting high ball screens.
I don't get it either. He tries to block everything which leads to the other team getting offensive rebounds. On offense he can catch alley oops but can't take any contact. Just really limited on both ends.
02-19-2023 09:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Titans3775 Offline
All American

(02-19-2023 09:31 PM)msu35 Wrote:  
(02-19-2023 09:04 PM)Titans3775 Wrote:  

What matters is making comparisons that could actually be valid. Not only is Kao a starter, he's been regularly getting more minutes than Minott saw at Memphis. Your comparison is silly. I agree that Minott deserved more playing time. He showed Penny by leaving the team and making it to the NBA. Kao has nowhere near the same level of talent and he certainly isn't even the obvious first choice on the Tigers.

Don't get me wrong, I like Kao, but he's not undeservedly getting robbed of playing time. He has a long, long way to go before he's at a level where he would be considered a well-rounded basketball player. Being able to block a couple of shots a game doesn't make up for his weaknesses.

So a player that isn't getting minutes they deserve is a bad comparison to another player not getting the minutes they deserved. Thank you for correcting me in your infinite wisdom master.
02-19-2023 09:37 PM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(02-19-2023 09:37 PM)Titans3775 Wrote:  So a player that isn't getting minutes they deserve is a bad comparison to another player not getting the minutes they deserved. Thank you for correcting me in your infinite wisdom master.

Your premise is flawed because Kao doesn't deserve more minutes.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2023 09:39 PM by msu35.)
02-19-2023 09:38 PM
Advertisement

msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

For those saying Kao needed significant playing time in the second half, answer this. Why did Houston outscore us by 11 points in the first half, but we outscored Houston by 3 points in the second half?
02-19-2023 09:53 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

Thoughts ?
Hashed and rehashed.
02-19-2023 10:25 PM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
Kao doesn't get minutes b'caus we have Chandler "freak'n awesome" LAWSON....aaaaand now we have "amazing" Also back in the mix, that's gonna play 30 minutes per caus of the "stipulations" of his NIL deal that kept him from signing oversees with the Indonesian Whippets basketball League....01-wingedeagle03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

we have just become an absolute joke of a team....All over AGAIN....It's so enjoyable to watch Memphis basketball when Alo comes back 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-hissyfit03-banghead

Once again....He absolutely SUX
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2023 11:22 PM by thagr82008.)
02-19-2023 11:21 PM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers

Thoughts ?

The very first possession of the game the Houston center went right through Kao's chest and shot a layup over him...

You guys are in love with his athleticism and perceive him as high potential because of his athleticism. The fact is that he has a very low level of skill both offensively and defensively. He tries to block everything and while that results in a decent amount of blocked shots it also means he is constantly leaving his man under the goal and getting himself out of position which leads to a ton of offensive rebounds and easy layups. Offensively he is completely useless outside of a lob or two a game.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2023 07:24 AM by SeñorTiger.)
02-20-2023 07:23 AM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

Just as the Lomax haters will hate Lomax no matter what, the Kao lovers will love Kao no matter what. It is what it is, and no discussion of the truth will change their minds.
02-20-2023 09:34 AM
Advertisement

Titans3775 Offline
All American

(02-20-2023 07:23 AM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  

Thoughts ?

The very first possession of the game the Houston center went right through Kao's chest and shot a layup over him...

You guys are in love with his athleticism and perceive him as high potential because of his athleticism. The fact is that he has a very low level of skill both offensively and defensively. He tries to block everything and while that results in a decent amount of blocked shots it also means he is constantly leaving his man under the goal and getting himself out of position which leads to a ton of offensive rebounds and easy layups. Offensively he is completely useless outside of a lob or two a game.

You do realize that was Chandler 03-lmfao..... Kao didn't start.
02-20-2023 09:49 AM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
(02-20-2023 07:23 AM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  

Thoughts ?

Name a player that the player from Houston doesn't drive through the chest and score through? They are the number one team in the country for that fact.... He's even better that Oscar what his name from Kentucky....Point is, Kao is one of the best defensive options we have that keep players from running layup drills against us, just as Houston did last night.... Chandler Lawson sure doesn't 01-wingedeagle
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2023 10:01 AM by thagr82008.)
02-20-2023 09:57 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
(02-20-2023 09:34 AM)msu35 Wrote:  Just as the Lomax haters will hate Lomax no matter what, the Kao lovers will love Kao no matter what. It is what it is, and no discussion of the truth will change their minds.

Most of us just what you think and are usually right
02-20-2023 09:58 AM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(02-20-2023 09:58 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  
(02-20-2023 09:34 AM)msu35 Wrote:  Just as the Lomax haters will hate Lomax no matter what, the Kao lovers will love Kao no matter what. It is what it is, and no discussion of the truth will change their minds.

Most of us just what you think and are usually right

Waking up to a drink again?
02-20-2023 09:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.