Open TigerLinks

Thread Closed 
Memphis fans are smart
Bookmark and Share
Mtyler Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Memphis fans are smart
There are some nutty idiots on here, but in general our fans know good basketball and competent coaching when they see it. I know some will try to cite, pre-calipari history, Josh's winning percentage, etc. as reasons why anyone calling for pastner's head are crazy. I get all those points, but the fact of the matter is that when you line Pastner up against other successful Bball coaches he does not fit. Not sure exactly what it is, but he does not seem to know what he is doing. Every single year it I the same thing. The team looks lost on offense and their is no scheme. Pastner has a different philosophy on a nightly basis. He subs wildly. Removing his first year the following excuses from some fans come to mind.

Year 2: he has a lot of freshman
Year 3: they are only sophomores
Year 4: the players aren't listening
Year 5: I'm ready for new players

Now I'm year six we are seeing the same thing we have seen every other year with no real improvements. Now it is amplifies because we don't have the talent to mask it. It was always there though. It's time for folks to get honest and realize you can't boil everything a coach does down to stats. Josh isn't the guy now, and he's not gonna be the guy.
11-21-2014 02:35 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
RE: Memphis fans are smart
I think it's time to put these new posts to bed and at least wait til Prairie View and Baylor. Feel free to add to the existing posts, I guess.
11-21-2014 02:58 PM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
[Image: 4imFIxA.jpg]
11-21-2014 02:58 PM
tigernole79 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kool-Aid
It is ABSOLUTELY stupid to say that pre-cal history doesn't count.

Please list all successful coaches and what determines your definition of what makes them successful and then show their first 5 years and what success they had. Very interested in seeing the results.

And NO, you can't say Memphis fans are smart any more than you could say they are dumb. Some fans are smart, some are idiots, some have an agenda, some will blindly support regardless of coach and results and some won't.
11-21-2014 03:19 PM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
Is it a thing now that every poster gets their own "I knew Pastner couldn't" coach thread? LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!
11-21-2014 03:27 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
I think most peoples concerns stem from the perceived level of talent Pastner has had on his teams and the way they have performed.
11-21-2014 03:33 PM
Advertisement

Tiger Greg Offline
1st String

So, doesn't that mean that judgement of talent is flawed?
11-21-2014 03:38 PM
oldmangrizz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: free love
If I don't know Josh, why is it OK for me to say he's a good guy, but it's not OK for me to say I don't think he can coach?
11-21-2014 03:39 PM
Tiger Greg Offline
1st String

You can say what you want. Just don't get your feelings hurt when others disagree.
11-21-2014 03:43 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(11-21-2014 03:38 PM)Tiger Greg Wrote:  So, doesn't that mean that judgement of talent is flawed?

It can go either way...

Could be the talent but We are on our second set of players with the core in their second and third years. There is a lot of time left in the season to turn it around though.
11-21-2014 03:49 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-21-2014 03:27 PM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  Is it a thing now that every poster gets their own "I knew Pastner couldn't" coach thread? LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!

and the only way they can be right is for OUR TEAM to fail.. 01-wingedeagle
11-21-2014 03:49 PM
Advertisement

ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Just because he has the best record of ANY coach in Memphis history through his first five year that doesn't mean anything.
11-21-2014 03:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
justballen Offline
Banned

(11-21-2014 02:58 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  I think it's time to put these new posts to bed and at least wait til Prairie View and Baylor. Feel free to add to the existing posts, I guess.

Wait until prairie view? Really? That's what we have been diminished to?
11-21-2014 04:00 PM
TigerFanFromAfar Offline
1st String

(11-21-2014 04:00 PM)justballen Wrote:  
(11-21-2014 02:58 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  I think it's time to put these new posts to bed and at least wait til Prairie View and Baylor. Feel free to add to the existing posts, I guess.

Wait until prairie view? Really? That's what we have been diminished to?

For this season. Yes. It's the 2nd game.
11-21-2014 04:23 PM
tigerpride96 Offline
Banned

(11-21-2014 03:56 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Just because he has the best record of ANY coach in Memphis history through his first five year that doesn't mean anything.

Against mostly CUSA "talent". Horrendous losing record against top 25 teams. 4 and 5 star talent and no better than second round in NCAA. Anyone with any experience in coaching will tell you Pastner is a horrible coach, including former D1 coaches from schools like UNLV, Texas, Oklahoma, Indiana, the list goes on and on.
11-21-2014 04:41 PM
Mick Light Offline
Banned

(11-21-2014 03:56 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Just because he has the best record of ANY coach in Memphis history through his first five year that doesn't mean anything.

Program was in better shape when he got it and the league is weaker than any coach we have ever had.

He does not make the teams better through coaching at the end of the year.

We play some cupcake this year called USC Upstate. I'm sure they have good players and based on what I witnessed at the CBU game will probably give us a good game.
11-21-2014 04:56 PM
Advertisement

UofMTigerFan Offline
All American

I Root For: Conservatives
(11-21-2014 04:56 PM)Mick Light Wrote:  

Program was in better shape when he got it and the league is weaker than any coach we have ever had.

He does not make the teams better through coaching at the end of the year.

We play some cupcake this year called USC Upstate. I'm sure they have good players and based on what I witnessed at the CBU game will probably give us a good game.

I'm not sure that Josh can be the man but I do know that the program as a whole is in MUCH better shape than it was when he took over. Cal left us a dumpster fire and Josh at the very least has kept us relevant.
11-21-2014 05:01 PM
rc0213 Offline
1st String

I can understand how a lot of fans feel, and I have felt a lot of frustrations myself. Pastner has done some mistakes and seems to can't get through his players. But, I see a lot of other programs, like Duke and NC, that have had lean years, and they still kept their HC's. You can't always have great years every year, even Coach K cannot do that. Show me a college HC that has gone to the NCAA Tourney every year of his coaching career without missing one, and you are living in a dream land.

No, I am not a Pastner lover, but I am definitely not on this Pastner hater club either. Sure, I am frustrated at times. Yes, I think he could do things differently. But, I see a lot of other teams, and I like where our program is. I hope one day we get the NCAA Title, but we need a few Top 50 recruits every year. We seem to be recruiting more JUCOs, which I disagree with. Even with a not so talented team, most media still consider the Tigers a decent team. That is partly from the history, but they see the team, coaches, etc.

This year might be a year we don't reach the NCAA Tourney. I would be disappointed, frustrated, but I will not be demanding for Pastner's resignation. Tigers' fans are too quick to take a coach out of a program and not let them spend time to develop a program. We got lucky with Fuente, in football. He was not tested and we took a really big chance, and it paid off. The same happened with Pastner, we got some good results so far. Until Memphis can get a couple of Top 50 Recruits every year, don't expect to go far into the NCAA Tourney if we go at all.

If Bowen decides to fire Pastner, I would feel sorry for Pastner, and hope the next coach does better and gets a lot more patience from the fans than Pastner ever did.
11-21-2014 05:43 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Uh...er...not with it...those teams won a ton of games...no excuses were needed....although apologies were demanded by the thug crew even while the teams were NCAA locks and threats.

Fell short but were hardly bad.

You need some scroti.
11-21-2014 06:39 PM
CrazyKMemphis Offline
Bench Warmer

The proof is in the pudding regarding Josh Pastner.

People can talk win percentages all they want to. When you look at "quality" wins, we clearly have lacked in that department.

Player development is the biggest giveaway to me in regard to whether a coach can get the job done or not.

Other than DJ Stephens, I can not think of one player under Pastner that rose past the ceiling of their potential, with most not even being as good as they could have been.

This program has suffered embarrassing losses year after year with teams that consistently show a lack of effort on the defensive end and an all around lack of physical and mental toughness.

I hope Prairie View kicks the Dog s**t out of us and every other cupcake on our schedule and Bowen does the smart thing and stops the bleeding before the season is even over, this has gone on long enough.

Besides, any smart replacement coach will keep daddy Lawson on the payroll. We really have nothing to lose.
11-21-2014 07:12 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.